Diagnosing an unusual noise is one of the most common reasons for unexpected, last-minute service appointments. At The Auto Repair Place in Boulder, CO, our team of certified technicians hasn’t met a sound it can’t trace back to a specific part or malfunction. If you are wondering why your car, truck or RV is making a new noise, it helps to understand the common causes of noises you might encounter as you are operating your vehicle.
Common Causes for Unusual Vehicle Noises
The seasoned automotive specialists of The Auto Repair Place are familiar with the noises a vehicle makes when it is in proper working order and the atypical sounds it makes when it’s in need of repair or maintenance services.
Here are the most common noises and possible causes that might to blame for the unexpected chirping, knocking, or clicking you might hear:
- Chirping, screeching, and whining: A serpentine belt that is either worn or in need of replacement or adjustment can cause these high-pitched sounds.
- Squealing: If the squealing is heard when the vehicle is running, it could be time for a new belt. If the squeal happens under braking, the brake pads may need replacement or there may be dirt on one or more of the braking components.
- Knocking: This noise can be a sign of any number of issues, such as lack of oil, bad valves, or incorrect ignition timing. If the knocking is heard at high speeds, you may be looking at a bad knock sensor.
- Clicking or crunching: When you are turning your steering wheel and hear a clicking/crunching noise, it’s likely that your vehicle’s CV joints are badly worn out. However, if you hear the clicking noise when you try to start your car, you may have a dead battery or bad alternator.
- Grinding: This is a worrisome sound that may point to an issue with your vehicle’s transmission.
The Auto Repair Place’s Expert Noise Inspection
While accurately pinpointing the reason behind a noise has a lot to do with old fashioned experience in the automotive field, The Auto Repair Place trains each of its technicians to conduct a comprehensive noise inspection to thoroughly check a vehicle and ensure nothing is overlooked.
Contact The Auto Repair Place Today
If you are wondering what is causing that odd sound coming from your vehicle, contact the helpful staff of The Auto Repair Place in Boulder by calling 303-443-7088. Restore your confidence in your vehicle by letting our professionals perform a noise inspection today!